Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My Quiet Day

I’ve been getting very frustrated lately, mostly because I’m so tired. I’ve raised my voice way too much, so I decided that I would spend a whole day whispering and talking quietly. I still got frustrated, but rather than getting louder and louder, I got softer and softer, and sometimes I just wouldn’t say anything. Like once, when Lizzy head butted my nose so hard that it made my eyes water. Normally I would very loudly say, “Ow, that hurts!” But instead, I said nothing, held my nose until it stopped hurting, and then kept cuddling and playing with Lizzy.

Lizzy was still her rambunctious self, but she seemed to be happier, and I was better able to understand what she wanted. I was so quiet throughout the day, that when Michael came home, his regular speaking voice seemed very loud. When Michael was doing the dishes, rather than raise my voice so he could hear me over all the noise that causes, I decided to wait until he was done to tell him what was on my mind. I feel like my voice got a nice break, and my family really enjoyed the calmness it brought into the house.

No comments: